What Is The Austin Comedy Short Film Festival?
The Austin Comedy Short Film Festival is a bi-annual event on the Film Festival Circuit for comedy filmmakers and screenwriters from all over the world to showcase their creative works in Texas. This event was founded by author and retired filmmaker Mikel Fair who worked on location in the Film and Television industry from 1999-2015. This event screens international independent short films in a "back to back" format in HD 1080p at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Lakeline. The Austin Comedy Short Film Festival judges are searching for funny and engaging films to entertain a comedy loving audience. All types of comedy submissions are selected and screened including Funny Music Video, Web Series Episodes, Dark Comedy, Romantic Comedy, Mockumentary, TV Pilots, Commercials, Micro Films, Animated Comedy, Horror Comedy, Stand-up Comedy, Sketch Comedy, and any other type of Comedy that you can think of. We want our audience to laugh non-stop in a fun, fast paced program at a great venue. Enjoy a great slate of films on a massive theater screen with large cushioned chairs. You can order appetizers, meals, desert and a full bar menu from your seat and still get the full theater experience while you watch films. Austin is a great independent film town and this event is a lot of fun, as well as, a great opportunity to network with filmmakers, screenwriters, crew, actors and industry professionals at our Awards and Filmmaker Networking Mixer event.
Connect With Austin Comedy Short Film Festival On Social Media
Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Submissions Are Now Open!
Do you have a comedy short film, music video, web series episode, sitcom, mockumentary, animated film, dark comedy film, horror comedy, sketch comedy or romantic comedy film that you're sending to festivals? Have you written a comedy screenplay with funny situations, engaging characters, clever concepts and great dialogue? Would you like to review our submission rates and upcoming deadlines? If so, please go to the Austin Comedy Short Film Festival listing on FilmFreeway. Our judges can't wait to watch your videos and read your stories. Please read our Comedy Film Category Judging Guide - Download .pdf or Read Online if you'd like to understand our how we rate and select submissions for this event. We make the process as fair and objective as possible. No politics here, we're just looking for the funniest and most creative works that we can find, to entertain our audience. Have more questions about the rules and restrictions for Austin Comedy Short Film Festival submissions? Please visit the Film Festival Circuit FAQ Frequently Asked Questions - LINK
Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Rated In The Top 100 On FilmFreeway By Filmmakers
We are fortunate to be rated in the Top 100 film festivals by filmmakers worldwide on FilmFreeway in October 2018! We have fun, we laugh and we appreciate funny films in Austin. It's all about the filmmakers and the screenings. The Austin Comedy Short Film Festival strongly believes in giving every filmmaker possible, an opportunity to share their creative work in a comedy friendly film environment. Thank you for your support.
"Dear Austin Comedy Short Film Festival, Congratulations! Your festival has ranked as one of the Top 100 Best Reviewed Festivals on FilmFreeway for the month of October 2018! According to reviews from real FilmFreeway users, your festival ranks in the top 1.5% of more than 7,000 film festivals and creative contests around the world. No doubt, this ranking is a testament to the countless hours of hard work and care that you and your staff have devoted to creating such a wonderful event. We’re especially proud to be partnered with amazing events like yours that help independent film continue to thrive." - FilmFreeway
Austin Comedy Short Film Festival List Of Submission Categories
- Animated Comedy Film
- Comedy Film
- Comedy TV Episode
- Comedy Web Series Episode
- Dark Comedy Film
- Funny Music Video
- Horror Comedy Film
- Mockumentary Film
- Romantic Comedy Film
- Screenplay: Comedy Feature Length and Short
- Screenplay: Comedy Series Full Length and Short
- Screenplay: Dark Comedy Feature and Short
- Screenplay: Horror Comedy Feature and Short
- Screenplay: Romantic Comedy Feature and Short
Austin Comedy Short Film Festival List Of Award Categories
The official selections represent the top 25% of submissions rated by the judges on a scale of 1-10. From the pool of official selections, up to 5 finalists per Award Category are announced as 'finalists' and are eligible to win an award. In some cases, less than five finalists may be nominated for a specific category, if there weren't enough films or screenplays that finished in the top 25% of official selections in that specific category. For example, we may have 20 music video submissions, but only 4 were rated in the top 25% of the official selections, therefore, only 4 award finalists are announced as finalists for the "Funniest Music Video" Award.
25 Award Categories For Comedy Films And Videos
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Animated Film
- Best Cinematography
- Best Comedy Film
- Best Comedy Micro Film*
- Best Dark Comedy Film
- Best Dark Comedy Micro Film*
- Best Director
- Best Editing
- Best Ensemble Cast
- Best Horror Comedy Film
- Best International Director
- Best International Micro Film*
- Best International Film
- Best Mockumentary Film
- Best Romantic Comedy Film
- Best Romantic Comedy Micro Film*
- Best TV Episode
- Best Texas Film
- Best Texas Micro Film*
- Best Web Series Micro Episode*
- Best Web Series Episode
- Funniest Music Video
- Most Original Concept
* (1-6 minutes in length)
14 Award Categories For Comedy Screenplays
- Best Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best Dark Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Dark Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best Horror Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Horror Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best International Feature Length Screenplay
- Best International Short Screenplay**
- Best Romantic Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Romantic Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best Texas Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Texas Short Screenplay**
- Best Comedy Series Full Length Episode
- Best Comedy Series Short Episode**
**40 pages or less
Austin Comedy Short Film Festival List Of Events
- Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2019
- Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Spring 2019
- Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Fall 2018
- Austin Comedy Short Film Festival Spring 2018
- Austin Comedy Short Film Festival 2015-2017
Films That Have Screened At The Austin Comedy Short Film Festival
Some of the filmmakers from our previous events, have since made their films public on YouTube and Vimeo. Check them out!
"Blue Division" Directed by Sergi Marti (Spain)
At 30 We Throw Dinner Parties
Bag Of Worms
Battle Of Algiers
Coppin' A Feel
Komodo Ping-Pong - Funny Music Video and Animated Comedy Film
Candy Universe Mania: Dark Comedy Web Series
"All You Do is Shag" Directed by Manu Bueno (Madrid, Spain)
My name is Mikel Fair and I have written this 30 page ebook to help filmmakers strengthen their submission when submitting to Film Festivals. This guide is based on my experience, starting in 2008 as a Film Festival Director that has watched, rated and reviewed more than 5000+ submissions of all genres from over 100 countries. There are several mistakes that filmmakers are making on a daily basis that I can help you avoid. I explain in detail, about how the packaging and editing of your submission can have a direct effect on how many festivals that your film is accepted to. Priced under $10 US, I have made this book affordable for everyone and will email you any new versions that we release until January 2021. Please read the first chapter for free!
- Chapter 1: Does Packaging Really Matter? - Free Chapter!
- Chapter 2: Are Your Contact Details Accurate? A Daily Common Mistake
- Chapter 3: Does The Name Of Your Film Stand Out? Or Will It Be Lost In The Shuffle?
- Chapter 4: Tips For Creating The Right Tagline And Synopsis
- Chapter 5: Do You Know That A Director’s Bio And Resume Are Two Different Things?
- Chapter 6: How To Write A Compelling Director’s Statement That Tells A Story.
- Chapter 7: The First Impression Of Your Film Is It’s Official Poster.
- Chapter 8: Without A Trailer, Your Film Might Become An Afterthought.
- Chapter 9: Why Do Film Festivals Love Submissions With A Social Media Presence?
- Chapter 10: Your Film’s Website, Is Its History And Point Of Contact
- Chapter 11: Final Cut Or Festival Cut? Don’t Submit The Wrong One.
- Chapter 12: Stretch Your Submissions Budget. Use Promo Codes. Get Discounts.