What Is The Houston Comedy Film Festival?
The Houston Comedy Film Festival is a theatrical screening event on the Film Festival Circuit for international independent comedy films that also recognizes excellent comedy screenplays. The first event was held in 2009 and is ranked in the FilmFreeway Top 100. This event was founded by author and retired filmmaker Mikel Fair who worked on location in the Film and Television industry from 1999-2015 while based in Houston, Texas. This event screens short comedy films in a "back to back" format in HD 1080p at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema LaCenterra. The Houston Comedy Film Festival has 40 active judges. 19 of the judges are fluent in English and Spanish. All types of comedy submissions are selected and screened including Funny Music Video, Web Series Episodes, Dark Comedy, Romantic Comedy, Mockumentary, TV Pilots, Commercials, Micro Films, Animated Comedy, Horror Comedy, Stand-up Comedy, Sketch Comedy, and any other type of Comedy that you can think of. The judges are looking for films that generate laughter in a fun, fast paced program at a great venue. Enjoy a great slate of films on a massive theater screen with large cushioned chairs. You can order appetizers, meals, desert and a full bar menu from your seat and still get the full theater experience while you watch films. The Alamo Drafthouse is a cool quirky place and this event is a lot of fun. This is also a great opportunity to network with filmmakers, screenwriters, crew, actors and industry professionals at our Awards and Filmmaker Networking Mixer event.
Would you like to meet a Film Festival Director?
Please join me, Mikel Fair, on Facebook Live every Tuesday at 12pm US Pacific Standard Time / 2pm US Central Standard Time. Have questions about?
- Film Festival Judging
- Film Festival Submission Tips
- Film Festival Topics in general
If you have questions about the Film Festival Circuit, Film Festival Judging or any info that is Film Festival related, please don't be afraid to ask. We would love your questions and topic suggestions. Visit the Facebook Live Event Page and type your question by clicking on the "Discussion" Tab and select "Add A Post." If you'd like to hang out and listen, that's fine too. Thank you.
Connect With The Houston Comedy Film Festival On Social Media
Houston Comedy Film Festival Submissions Are Now Open!
Do you have a comedy short film, music video, web series episode, sitcom, mockumentary, animated film, dark comedy film, sketch comedy or romantic comedy film that you're sending to festivals? Have you written a comedy screenplay with funny situations, engaging characters, clever concepts and great dialogue? Would you like to review our submission rates and upcoming deadlines? If so, please go to the Houston Comedy Film Festival listing on FilmFreeway. Our judges can't wait to watch your videos and read your stories. Please read our Comedy Film Category Judging Guide - Download .pdf or Read Online if you'd like to understand our how we rate and select submissions for this event. We make the process as fair and objective as possible. No politics here, we're just looking for the funniest and most creative works that we can find, to entertain our audience. Have more questions about the rules and restrictions for Houston Comedy Film Festival submissions? Please visit the Film Festival Circuit FAQ Frequently Asked Questions - LINK.
Houston Comedy Film Festival Rated In The Top 100 On FilmFreeway By The Filmmakers
We are fortunate, that the Houston Comedy Film Festival is rated in the Top 100 film festivals by filmmakers worldwide on FilmFreeway. We have fun, we laugh and we appreciate funny films in Houston. It's all about the filmmakers and the screenings. The Houston Comedy Film Festival strongly believes in giving every filmmaker possible, an opportunity to share their creative work in a comedy environment. Thank you for your support.
Dear Houston Comedy Film Festival, Congratulations! Your festival has ranked as one of the Top 100 Best Reviewed Festivals on FilmFreeway for the month of December 2019! According to reviews from real FilmFreeway users, your festival ranks in the top 1.5% of more than 8,000 film festivals and creative contests around the world. No doubt, this ranking is a testament to the countless hours of hard work and care that you and your staff have devoted to creating such a wonderful event. We’re especially proud to be partnered with amazing events like yours that help independent film continue to thrive." - FilmFreeway
Houston Comedy Film Festival List Of Submission Categories
- Animated Comedy Film
- Comedy Film
- Comedy TV Episode
- Comedy Web Series Episode
- Dark Comedy Film
- Funny Music Video
- Horror Comedy Film
- Mockumentary Film
- Romantic Comedy Film
- Screenplay: Comedy Feature Length and Short
- Screenplay: Comedy Series Full Length and Short
- Screenplay: Dark Comedy Feature and Short
- Screenplay: Horror Comedy Feature and Short
- Screenplay: Romantic Comedy Feature and Short
Houston Comedy Film Festival List Of Award Categories
The official selections represent the top 25% of submissions rated by the judges on a scale of 1-10. From the pool of official selections, up to 5 finalists per Award Category are announced as 'finalists' and are eligible to win an award. In some cases, less than five finalists may be nominated for a specific category, if there weren't enough films or screenplays that finished in the top 25% of official selections in that specific category. For example, we may have 20 music video submissions, but only 4 were rated in the top 25% of the official selections, therefore, only 4 award finalists are announced as finalists for the "Funniest Music Video" Award.
25 Award Categories For Comedy Films And Videos
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Animated Film
- Best Cinematography
- Best Comedy Film
- Best Comedy Micro Film*
- Best Dark Comedy Film
- Best Dark Comedy Micro Film*
- Best Director
- Best Editing
- Best Ensemble Cast
- Best Horror Comedy Film
- Best International Director
- Best International Micro Film*
- Best International Film
- Best Mockumentary Film
- Best Romantic Comedy Film
- Best Romantic Comedy Micro Film*
- Best TV Episode
- Best Texas Film
- Best Texas Micro Film*
- Best Web Series Micro Episode*
- Best Web Series Episode
- Funniest Music Video
- Most Original Concept
* (1-6 minutes in length)
14 Award Categories For Comedy Screenplays
- Best Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best Dark Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Dark Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best Horror Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Horror Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best International Feature Length Screenplay
- Best International Short Screenplay**
- Best Romantic Comedy Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Romantic Comedy Short Screenplay**
- Best Texas Feature Length Screenplay
- Best Texas Short Screenplay**
- Best Comedy Series Full Length Episode
- Best Comedy Series Short Episode**
**40 pages or less
Houston Comedy Film Festival Previous Events
- Houston Comedy Film Festival Summer 2020
- Houston Comedy Film Festival Fall 2019
- Houston Comedy Film Festival Spring 2019
- Houston Comedy Film Festival 2018
- Houston Comedy Film Festival 2009-2017
Films That Have Screened At The Houston Comedy Film Festival
Some of the filmmakers from our previous events, have since made their films public on YouTube and Vimeo. Check them out!
100% Directed by Emma Miranda Moore (United Kingdom)
"Shahkboy" Directed by Jake Peckar (Massachusetts)
"Location Scouts" Directed by Christiaan Van Vuuren & Connor Van Vuuren (Australia)
"Open Wide" Directed by Behnam Taheri & Gideon Beresford (United Kingdom)
"The Long Pee" Directed by Daniel Fradin & Kyle Rosenbluth (Pennsylvania)
“Smithston” Directed by Craig Melville (Australia)
“A Welshman’s Guide to Breaking Up” Directed by Keri Collins (United Kingdom)
“Bwown Bugg” Directed by Aaron Caponigro and Sarah Yovovich (New York)
Native Immigration Directed by Eric Romero (United Kingdom)
My name is Mikel Fair and I have written this 30 page ebook to help filmmakers strengthen their submission when submitting to Film Festivals. This guide is based on my experience, starting in 2008 as a Film Festival Director that has watched, rated and reviewed more than 5000+ submissions of all genres from over 100 countries. There are several mistakes that filmmakers are making on a daily basis that I can help you avoid. I explain in detail, about how the packaging and editing of your submission can have a direct effect on how many festivals that your film is accepted to. Priced under $10 US, I have made this book affordable for everyone and will email you any new versions that we release until January 2021. Please read the first chapter for free!
- Chapter 1: Does Packaging Really Matter? - Free Chapter!
- Chapter 2: Are Your Contact Details Accurate? A Daily Common Mistake
- Chapter 3: Does The Name Of Your Film Stand Out? Or Will It Be Lost In The Shuffle?
- Chapter 4: Tips For Creating The Right Tagline And Synopsis
- Chapter 5: Do You Know That A Director’s Bio And Resume Are Two Different Things?
- Chapter 6: How To Write A Compelling Director’s Statement That Tells A Story.
- Chapter 7: The First Impression Of Your Film Is It’s Official Poster.
- Chapter 8: Without A Trailer, Your Film Might Become An Afterthought.
- Chapter 9: Why Do Film Festivals Love Submissions With A Social Media Presence?
- Chapter 10: Your Film’s Website, Is Its History And Point Of Contact
- Chapter 11: Final Cut Or Festival Cut? Don’t Submit The Wrong One.
- Chapter 12: Stretch Your Submissions Budget. Use Promo Codes. Get Discounts.